Thursday, September 11, 2014

StoryCorps: Recording and Preserving the Stories of Our Lives

Story Corps

On Friday mornings, NPR airs a segment I treasure called StoryCorps.  In 2003, StoryCorps began recording stories of Americans across the country.  These stories are being preserved in the American Folklife Center of the Library of Congress.

The mission of StoryCorps is stated on their website as:

"StoryCorps' mission is to provide people of all backgrounds and beliefs with the opportunity to record, share and preserve the stories of our lives.  We do this to remind on another of our shared humanity, to strengthen and build the connections between people, to tech the value of listening, and to weave into the fabric of our culture the understanding that everyone's story matters.  At the same time, we are creating an invaluable archive for future generations."

The stories aired never cease to stop me in my tracks as I listen intently, often holding my breath and sometimes my tears.  Each experience, each perspective, each story told reminds me of the stories every person carries, unknown to us.  In my work as a therapist, I have the honor of being with others as they share their stories; in this process, I am often in awe of the strength and capacity of the human spirit.

Today, on the anniversary of the attacks on September 11th, 2001, I share with you a recent story aired on StoryCorps told Sekou Siby and encourage you to keep listening to StoryCorps, and to be open to the stories of those around you, including your own.

Please follow this link for Sekou Siby's story:

No comments: