Monday, October 20, 2014

The Wonder Woman in me sees the Super Hero in YOU


Wonder Woman: My prized possession
Four years ago, I was corresponding with a friend of mine in Michigan.  I responded to his check-in that my great realization from 2010 was that "I am not Wonder Woman!"   In fact, I could not have felt more the antithesis of Wonder Woman at that moment.  Life was full of transition and long, painful days of work, all resting on a bed of uncertainty inside myself and my life.  Doubtful, lost and alone are the feelings I likely would have described at that time.  

In my work as a therapist now, many of my clients arrive with deep feelings of uncertainty about where they are in life, feeling lost and alone.  Often in these moments I can see hope and so much potential for growth even when they cannot, because I am regularly reminded that it is in our greatest discomfort in life that we find we make our most profound growth.  Everyone has some Super Hero in them, and I feel it as my job as a therapist to help my clients find it.  Even in our darkest moments of self-doubt, to have at least one trusted person in our life reflect on all of our gifts, strengths, accomplishments and the potential we possess can be the key to our transition out of the darkness and into the next authentic steps of our journey.  Therapy can also provide a safe place of introspection for one to explore the patterns that have shaped one's life thus far, and then reflect on what patterns will continue to serve moving forward and which ones may not.  

My friend reached out with a simple, yet powerful gift of inspiration, a Wonder Woman mug and the words "YOU ARE WONDER WOMAN!"  Even in my days when I was bogged down in clouds of self-doubt, he and several other key people reflected on the confidence they had in my ability to rise above this doubt and find my way.  And, they was right!  My life began to change in magical and dramatic ways out of that period of profound discomfort and uncertainty.  It turned out, I was not so uncertain after all, just afraid.  Overcoming my fears led directly to my authentic work, which allows me the honor to sit with others who are working to overcome their fears, a courageous and heroic journey from my vantage point.

Each day I wake up to my coffee in this cup, and know that even though I may not feel like Wonder Woman, someone sees her in me, and that gives me hope and motivation.  I am not much for attachment to material possessions, but this cup, it truly is my prized possession.

The Wonder Woman in me sees the Super Hero in YOU.

Suggestions and feedback for the blog and future topics can be emailed to annemillikentherapy@gmail.com.  More information regarding my private practice and therapy searches can be found at annemilliken.com.

No comments: